Tree Pruning and Tree Trimming Service Waterford,MI
Healthy trees and shrubs require regular maintenance if you want them to stay manageable and look good. Trees that are not properly cared for in the beginning have a chance to develop bad habits. The best thing you can do is keep them trimmed and pruned. A healthy tree has an easier time surviving attacks from tree killing pest infestations and from diseases that are fungal or bacterial in nature. You can also increase the fruit or flower production in certain trees.
At Waterford Tree Service we follow pruning standards that are ANSI (American National Standards Institute) A-300, recognized. Certain tools, cutting techniques and pruning methods are highly recommended. It really is just that important. Your trees can easily become damaged or even die if improper trimming and pruning techniques are used. In fact, more than any other tree care mistake, more trees die annually from homeowner’s who attempt to do their own trees, without adequate
knowledge of the correct process.
An Art and A Science
Technique and timing are critical to the trimming and pruning process, for the best results. It’s so much more than just sawing off a variety of limbs you’ve chosen. Some think of it as nothing more than removing some dead or damaged branches. It’s actually based on scientific principles and an art of plant physiology. A professional knows that the proper methodology will aid the structure of the tree and encourage improvements in the health of the tree or shrub. There is no substitute for experience and education.
A professional knows why and how to check mature trees for any internal decay. Unchecked and unseen, internal tree decay can cause the tree to fail. These are the trees that provide the biggest surprises when they blow over onto your home or car during storms or high winds. It’s always good to have your trees that are in close proximity to your personal structures, inspected after a particularly severe storm. Better safe than sorry and all that. For pruning, there are four basic methods. They are clean, thin, raise and reduce. See below for a more in depth walk through of these techniques.
Basic Tree and Shrub Trimming and Pruning Techniques
- Clean: Broken, diseased and dead branches need to be removed. You reduce the risk of these branches falling unexpectedly on your home, or even you. It also reduces the risk of disease, decay and pest infestations. Removing an affected branch keeps the problem from spreading further into your tree. For mature trees this is a preferred method because you are not unnecessarily removing live branches.
- Thin: Live branches are selectively pruned to reduce density. The density is reduced along the edge of the crown, not the interior. Air movement and penetration of sunlight increase when trees are thinned.
- Raise: Pedestrians, signs, vehicles and some dwellings need clearance. Vertical clearance is the removal of the lower branches of a tree, selectively, raising the crown in the process.
- Reduce: In order to minimize the failure of the tree or shrub, the height or spread must be reduced. You need to take into consideration the species type and the health of the plant. Not all plants can tolerate the pruning process universally. Clearance from utility lines, removing vegetation from dwellings and other structures or improving the appearance of the plant are all part of the reduction process.
- Topping: Shortening the branches or limbs back to a predetermined crown limit by making cuts that leave large stubs, thereby reducing the tree’s size. These are similar to open wounds on a human body, increasing the chances of attracting disease.
- Lions-tailing: Removing an excessive number of branches from the inner tree.
- Rooster-tailing: On a palm tree, removing too many of the lower fronds thereby over-thinning.
At Waterford Tree Service we guarantee our certified arborist will employ the proper techniques and standards in order for your trees to grow strong, stay healthy and look great. Your trees are an investment in your home, property values and the personal safety of you and your loved ones. Don’t take any unnecessary risks; call the tree and shrub trimming and pruning experts. It’s where quality and affordability aren’t mutually exclusive.